Re: [asa] scientific fact vs. ideology?

From: John Burgeson (ASA member) <hossradbourne@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Mar 10 2009 - 11:14:13 EDT

David posted, in part:

"I don't think the ethical issue is quite so simple, Burgy. For
example, if one is agnostic on the personhood of a human embryo, as
you and probably most other people are, or if even those who say "no"
here have to admit some uncertainty, then the precautionary principle
comes into play."

Sorry -- I did not mean to infer that the ethical issue was simple;;
just the opposite.

"Curiously, the same people who strongly assert the precautionary
principle as a backstop for global warming mitigation often completely
blow it off when it comes to embryonic stem cell research (and vice
versa!). "

May be true enough, but isn't this beside the point?

"Also, the options aren't just the polar "person vs. non-person."
Many opponents of human embryonic stem cell research argue from
"potentiality." If embryos are not "persons" in a full sense -- e.g.,
if personhood relates to existing cognitive functions -- they are at
least "potential persons." In such a case, one mode of ethical
analysis might be to weigh the potentiality of an embryo's personhood
against the potentiality of the research program. The result of such
an analysis is not by any means obvious. "

I am familiar with those ethicists who argue this way, and they have
valid points.

"Finally, all of the above assumes that a consequentialist ethic is
necessarily the right and only appropriate kind of ethical analysis to
employ in this case. Why? Many ethicists would argue that
consequentialism ends up being incoherent, and therefore favor
deontological and/or virtue perspectives -- a position with which I'm
quite sympathetic."

My own preference is for virtue ethics first; consequentialist ethics
second, deontological ethics last. I would hold that virtue ethics
would favor the new policy; obviously consequentialist ethics would
favor it also and -- probably -- deontological ethics would oppose it.
But I admit to not having given a lot of thought to the issue along
those liines ina long time.

Thanks for your comments.

Burgy

Burgy