Re: [asa] scientific fact vs. ideology?

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Mar 10 2009 - 11:01:38 EDT

I don't think the ethical issue is quite so simple, Burgy. For example, if
one is agnostic on the personhood of a human embryo, as you and probably
most other people are, or if even those who say "no" here have to admit some
uncertainty, then the precautionary principle comes into play. Curiously,
the same people who strongly assert the precautionary principle as a
backstop for global warming mitigation often completely blow it off when it
comes to embryonic stem cell research (and vice versa!).

Also, the options aren't just the polar "person vs. non-person." Many
opponents of human embryonic stem cell research argue from "potentiality."
If embryos are not "persons" in a full sense -- e.g., if personhood relates
to existing cognitive functions -- they are at least "potential persons."
In such a case, one mode of ethical analysis might be to weigh the
potentiality of an embryo's personhood against the potentiality of the
research program. The result of such an analysis is not by any means
obvious.

Finally, all of the above assumes that a consequentialist ethic is
necessarily the right and only appropriate kind of ethical analysis to
employ in this case. Why? Many ethicists would argue that
consequentialism ends up being incoherent, and therefore favor deontological
and/or virtue perspectives -- a position with which I'm quite sympathetic.

David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law
Seton Hall University Law School
Director, Gibbons Institute of Law, Science & Technology