Re: [asa] scientific fact vs. ideology?

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Mar 10 2009 - 08:59:04 EDT

Yes, it bothers me immensely. I think you are absolutely right that this is
a false dichotomy, particularly in the human embryonic stem cell research
context. It is also, I think, a classic example of scientism. The
implication is that "science" has determined that a human embryo is not a
"person" and/or that some utilitarian calculus warrants destructively
harvesting stem cells from at least some human embryos. These are
conclusions that can be informed, but not determined, by science. I
personally find destructive human embryonic stem cell research morally
horrifying, particularly when cell lines are harvested from embryos cast off
by the IVF industry.

David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law
Seton Hall University Law School
Director, Gibbons Institute of Law, Science & Technology