[asa] scientific fact vs. ideology?

From: Douglas Hayworth <haythere.doug@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Mar 10 2009 - 08:47:38 EDT

Note: this is NOT a politics question.

President Obama said yesterday that public policy should be based on
scientific facts not ideology.

 think this is an awful statement. It's a false dichotomy. Scientific
"facts" don't make public policy; they form a necessary informational base,
but every action based on that knowledge also
requires a moral/ethical/ideological decision. Scientific facts say we can
build nuclear weapons, but our choice to reduce their proliferation
ideological/moral. Scientific facts have shown that it is possible to clone
animals, but we all agree that ideology/morality must weigh in on public
policy decisions relating to cloning. No one disagrees about the science of
the "emergency contraception pill" or stem cell research; the pill works and
stem cell research holds lots of promise. But those scientific facts in and
of themselves are not a sound basis for policy!

Does this misrepresentation of science (which I think is not particuler to
Obama - so don't make this into a political debate) bother anyone else?

Doug