Re: [asa] on miracles

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Mon Mar 09 2009 - 04:47:19 EDT

Good analogy. The reason I believe God "tinkers" [I don't like the word either] is not necessarily that he must do so but that it's his nature to interact intimately with his creation. That's what he does, and that's what he enjoys doing.

However, it's entirely possible if not likely that he must tinker in order to get desired results. Evolutionary processes seem not to have been controlled by intelligence but rather to have been driven by chaotic forces to a degree that the ultimate outcome was totally unpredictable. Stephen Jay Gould: "Humans are here today because our particular line never fractured - never once at any of the billion points that could have erased us from history." I think it extremely unlikely that humans would have come into being through the operation of natural laws and forces without God's special guidance. "Special guidance" here means that God made nature do something it could have done without his guidance but was not inclined to do; that is, the probability that nature would have yielded the desired result without guidance is vanishingly small.

By "nature" I mean the world as science sees it: Things interacting in accord with properties built into them.

Even if the potential for humans had been built into the DNA of the original bacteria, it would by no means be inevitable that humans would eventually emerge. If we were to repeat the Earth biotic experiment somewhere else or in the same place at a different time, the extinction events (along with much else) surely would not repeat in the same ways or at the same relative times, and the ultimate outcome would therefore differ radically. Creatures with five eyes and very long noses might dominate (cf. Opabinia)!

Don