Re: [asa] on miracles

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Sun Mar 08 2009 - 16:07:56 EDT

If I seem to be beating the same old drum I don't apologize at all because it's the essential instrument in the theological orchestra. We learn nothing at all about God's character from a study of the universe by itself. Even if one thinks that we can conclude from such study that there is a God who created the world, we can say nothing about who that God is. Where we learn about the character of God is from God's historical revelation, & most importantly from the character & history of Jesus. God's kenotic self-limitation in the Incarnation & the hiddenness of God even in his central self-revelation in the cross, are the fundamental clues that ought to be followed in considering how God acts in the world.

But didn't Jesus do a lot of miracles? Yes, but as I've argued here recently the primary importance of those miracles for us is their sign value. (Of course they had other values as well for the people who immmediately benefited from them.) They were pointers to the presence of the one who is working all the time in the world in non-miraculous ways & do not provide any basis for thinking that we ought to see God working miraculously in the world in general.

Shalom
George