Re: [asa] on miracles

From: David Clounch <david.clounch@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Mar 07 2009 - 21:14:23 EST

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 4:12 PM, George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com> wrote:

> The reference to contingency in the ASA statement is due to Torrance's
> influence, especially on Jim Neidhardt who was on the committee that drafted
> the statement (as was I). Torrance spoke of "the doctrine of the contingent
> rationality of the universe," meaning that God created a rational universe
> but that God could have created other rational universes. In other words,
> it's an affirmation of God's freedom in creation.
>
> I think there would probably be a considerable spread of views among
> non-Christians, & especially atheists, about whether or not the universe has
> to be as it is. Very crudely speaking, there's a tendency for physicists to
> say "Yes" & biologists "No." Steady state cosmology & the bootstrap theory
> of particle physics of the 60s (which you can find expounded in Capra's _Tao
> of Physics_) were expressions - failed, as we now know - of the 1st
> tendency. Gould's very explicit emphasis on the contingency of evolution in
> _Wonderful Life_ is an expression of the 2d. Those who stress the role of
> chance in evolution of course are likely to insist that things could have
> turned out differently.

To his credit Kenneth R Miller has a section on this in his new book, which
I have here on my desk, but don't have room for in my head this week. He
talks about baseball and a set of events in a series, and the rule about
how sometimes one must go back to a certain point and play the game over
from there forward, the idea that the outcome cannot be predicted or
determined from the state at that point, and one thus never gets the same
result twice from a given point. He is saying evolution is like that.

 I haven't got my head wrapped around this yet. But - it seems to me its a
dent in the fender of those who hypothesize that God used a statistical
universe to produce any given individual person. To do this latter the
path forward from any given state must be predictable and repeatable. This
is necessary for any deistic notion to allow God to produce a desired
outcome. But the universe isn't like that.

But perhaps I merely fail to understand Miller. I haven't read the book yet.