Re: [asa] on miracles

From: David Clounch <>
Date: Sat Mar 07 2009 - 11:10:15 EST

"We believe that in creating and preserving the universe
God has endowed it with contingent order and intelligibility, the basis of
scientific investigation."

When I joined the ASA I asked Elving Anderson what the meaning of
contingency meant in this context. The answer, as I remember it, was to
the effect of the order in the universe is "unnecessary". This seems to
align with a volunteerist viewpoint. I polled some other local ASA
members and got pretty much the same view. So I was able sign the
statement of belief.

Let me ask this: Would it be true that materialists (Dawkins, Meyers, etc)
think order is not contingent? Does contingency separate materialism from

Or does contingency separate deism from theism? Or is the question too

David Clounch