Re: [asa] intervention

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Sat Mar 07 2009 - 10:44:18 EST

Let me take this a bit further. If the things that Jesus did were to
function as signs pointing to the presence of the creator then there should
be some connection between what he did and what God is doing all the time as
creator (in the broad sense - i.e., not just originating the world but
preserving, cooperating with, & governing creatures). What Jesus did in
feeding the multitudes & turning water into wine was the same kind of thing,
dramatically speeded up & expanded, that God does every year in the growth
of grain & grapes, fermentation &c. Nothing original there - many will
recognize the idea from C.S. Lewis' _Miracles_. As he notes there, Jesus
didn't turn stones into bread (in the temptation stories) but turned a
little bread into a lot of bread.

& this suggests that what happened at Cana, e.g., was not something beyond
the capacities of creatures (a traditional & IMO much too limited definition
of miracle) but the use of some potentials in nature that come to actuality
so rarely that we are unable to get a handle on them scientifically, but
which are somehow related to the normal way in which water (& other
chemicals) get turned into wine. The one who does this is not some magician
who invades the world with a foreign bag of tricks but the creator of the
world who knows its possibilities far better than we can.

Caveats: I do not claim that all biblical miracles stories can be
understood in this way. Nor do I think that all the healings, feedings &c
that Jesus did were simply calculated attempts to leave clues to his
identity. The reason he healed the leper in Mk.1:40-42 is that he was
"moved with pity," & the reason he fed the multitudes was because they were
hungry.

Shalom
George