Re: [asa] intervention

From: Merv Bitikofer <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Sat Mar 07 2009 - 08:35:46 EST

...a response to both Keith and George,

George maybe 99% of the "big point" gets missed, yes, but the big point
at the moment, for the disciples was that Jesus was doing something
astonishing. Peter wanted to come out and play too. In order to be
an effective sign pointing to the larger message you give, it apparently
has to be something like that. And our scientific mindsets today get
fixated on the physical feat itself just as the original disciples
were. Hence the modern suspicion that you are trying to "spiritualize"
(in a modern pejoratively intended use of that word) an event in order
to avoid a grudging admission to a skeptical audience that, yes, you
think this literally happened. But you indulged that fixation here
which may be the wise thing needed to move us beyond our fixation to
begin to pay attention to what the sign is pointing towards.
(corollary question: so how can we help folks move beyond their
fixations when we DON'T agree that they are literally true ---like a
young earth...)

So on to the character of God, which Keith suggests is a more central
question. Is it in God's character to be calming storms and what you
call "the chaotic forces that threaten creation"? I can definitely see
this applied Spiritually (used non-pejoratively here). He first gets
our attention with a physical demonstration, then moves us beyond that
to faith --at least that would seem to fit his modus operandi elsewhere
in Scriptures. "But that you [all] may know that the son of man has
authority to forgive sins .... rise, take up your mat, and go
home." from Mark 2. There Jesus started with the forgiveness of sins,
but the incredulous audience needed more. So he backed up and gave them
a physical demonstration. The trouble is, "chaotic forces" seem to be
woven in to the fabric of creation. Storms (both physical and emotional
ones) seem to be necessary for healthy long term growth. Perhaps this
moves towards the evolutionary paradox in which, George will no doubt
remind us, the character of God is effectively hidden and suffers with
us. Yet we don't want Jesus to sink in the boat with us. We want him
to calm the storm. ...the paradox lives on...

--Merv