[asa] What is an observer?

From: Jack Syme <drsyme@verizon.net>
Date: Sat Mar 07 2009 - 06:45:46 EST

Gerorge said:

> 4) Finally he argues for some version of what he calls DCC, "divine collapse causation," in connection with the idea that God acts by causing the collapse of the wave > function. I think this is a promising idea but there are some problems with it - in particular, it may amount to just reintroducing the idea that God does everything in the > world directly, as in Barbour's "classic" model of divine action. Plantinga suggests that human beings, created in the image of God, have a similar (though of course > much more limited) ability to influence what happens. That doesn't seem to me to get at the heart of the problem.

This comment raises for me a question I have often been confused about. Since it is a change in topic I changed the thread title.

What is required of an observer to cause collapse of a wave function? George here mentions human beings being capable observers, are sub-human observers capable of influincing what happens?

If it is true that the observer actually causes the determination of an objects quantum state, then was Schroedingers cat actually dead (or alive) before the box was opened? Why isnt the cat a capable observer ( or is it)?