Re: [asa] intervention

From: Merv Bitikofer <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Fri Mar 06 2009 - 21:03:09 EST

Keith Miller wrote:
> Merv wrote:
>
>> Just to push you a bit on this, Keith: So was Jesus' little
>> constitutional on the water just a continuation of the created
>> natural course of things? We all agree that literal occurrences of
>> folks walking on deep water is not common or typical, whatever else
>> it may be. So didn't God create gravity and water to cause the
>> denser things to sink? While I agree with your sentiments and
>> response below, surely folks could be forgiven for thinking of such
>> events as "interventions", even if we don't fully understand nature
>> to be making judgments on what is 'out-of-bounds', (if indeed
>> anything is), and what isn't. (Your points below are well taken.)
>> But we do know enough, as they did then too, to recognize an
>> astonishing thing when we see it.
>
> By all current understanding of the natural world there are some
> events described in scripture that are miraculous in the narrow sense
> of breaking the continuity of cause-and effect processes (violating
> "natural Law," though I don't like that term). The greatest of these
> is of course the resurrection.

I share in your dislike over that phrase ----especially the word
"violating". But what other terms might there be? Bending? (still an
'interventionist' connotation) Transcending? Using more fully?
"Fulfilling" natural law? Even just the term 'natural' implies a
boundary that can't be well-defined and may be much less useful as a
category than one would guess given its common usage.

(A sign near our house says: "No Dumping Violators Will Be
Prosecuted". I guess punctuation is superfluous on street signs, but I
get a chuckle every time I see it. If anyone has any "dumping" to do
come on over. Sign guarantees you won't be harassed.)

--Merv