Re: [asa] Behe on "intervention"

From: William Hamilton <willeugenehamilton@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Mar 05 2009 - 15:37:59 EST

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Hello Bill,
>
> Is your objection to 'interference' and 'intervention' also based on on the
> premise that they imply 'discontinuity'?

No. What I was trying to say is that I consider nature to be an entity
God commands, and to me, "intervention" connotes interfering with the
normal workings of nature.Instead, I see God commanding nature and
nature, via its natural workings built into it by God, carries out
God's commands.

What I mean is that 'gradualism'
> and 'continuity' are key aspects of evolutionary biology. Any term that
> would suggest 'discontinuity' or 'rapidity' (or 'catastrophe' or another
> concept contrary to 'gradual') would be rejected be Behe in so far as he
> accepts biological evolution.

It would be interesting to put that question to Mike. He responds to
his email (at least from me) Why don't you ask him. He's listed in the
faculty directory at lehigh.edu.