Re: [asa] Behe on "intervention"

From: William Hamilton <willeugenehamilton@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Mar 05 2009 - 09:52:44 EST

Moorad wrote

> I revert back to a question I asked some time ago, how do Christians, who
> are scientists or else talk about science, understand Hebrews 1: 3, "...
> upholds all things by the word of His power..." Is that "miraculous
> intervention" or "partial interference," or else "constant interference?"
>
> Moorad

I object to "interference" and "intervention". I think "supervision"
or "oversight" would be more appropriate. I'm probably doing violence
to St. Basil here, but I believe he considered nature to be a
mechanism that God commands. We can see the mechanism, but the
commands are perceived only by faith. Thus nature is always doing what
God commands, but we see that only by faith. "Intervention" and
"interference" imply that nature needs to be "fixed up" when it strays
from its intended course.

(Now I'm responding to Ted Davis)

I think that the laypeople in most churches don't feel competent to
discuss issues touched on by Scripture, so they try to hew as closely
as they can to what the pastor and other conservative Christians tell
them.

--
William E (Bill) Hamilton Jr., Ph.D.
Member American Scientific Affiliation