RE: [asa] Behe on "intervention"

From: Jon Tandy <tandyland@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed Mar 04 2009 - 12:33:46 EST

I think the easy answer to your question is, "divine providence". Now the
question is to define "divine providence", and how it works. We had a
discussion on this recently, in response to some probing questions that I
offered.

I would add, consider this not just in the context of science/natural
history, but also in the context of human history, human-social thought, and
in our religious lives. How does God work -- with non-natural intervention,
hidden intervention, or with an essentially non-interventionist "hidden
hand" that has real influence on temporal events? I believe there is great
value in considering providence from all these ways, not just from the
limited view of scientific theory and the physical history of the universe,
but I haven't had a chance to follow up on some recent thoughts along those
lines.

Romans 8:28 says that "all things work together for good to them that love
God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." How does God do
that in human-social interaction? In our spiritual relationship? In
biology or physics?

Prov 16:4 (NIV) says "The LORD works out everything for his own ends-- even
the wicked for a day of disaster." How does the Lord work in everything,
even in evil things done through the free agency of the wicked, to
accomplish His own ends? And would we be able to prove through systematic
analysis of human-social events where, exactly, did God's action start and
stop? I think in most cases the answer would be no. For those who don't
allow for divine intervention, the answer would always be no.

When God caused Israel to prevail against their enemies, or when they were
wicked for their enemies to prevail against them in battle, where was God's
action? Did God openly intervene, or partially intervene, in ways that were
outside an apparently natural course of events? I am willing to say that He
did, but in many cases the "intervention" attributed to God through
scripture and/or prophecy could be fully explained as a natural sequence of
cause and effect events - wise or poor decisions on the part of a general,
seemingly natural events such as a hailstorm that turn the course of the
battle, etc. I am also willing to say that He intervened supernaturally
(overtly) in biological history, but I understand the reasons for thinking
it may have been otherwise.

More thoughts, but that's all I have time for now.

Jon Tandy