Re: [asa] Ravi Z. delivers

From: Merv Bitikofer <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Wed Mar 04 2009 - 08:44:33 EST

Combining a couple quick replies this morning ----wish I had more time
at the moment.

Dave, actually Ravi's companion (a British speaker who was also quite
good --I wish I could remember his name) actually fielded this question
with supporting comments from Ravi. The main thrust of his answer was
to say that love doesn't have much meaning apart from justice or truth.
He used the example of how love means the most when it comes from those
who know you best --foibles & all (but they love you anyway). So --God
must love us in truth. They didn't get much beyond this stage of the
answer & the fellow probably didn't consider his question as answered (&
speakers gave disclaimer as to their ability to completely answer it in
that setting.) On a personal note -- I think C.S. Lewis' take on this
in "The Great Divorce" I think, is captured in this line: At the end
there will on be two kinds of people. Those who say to God "Thy will be
done." And those to have God say to them: "Thy will be done." <end
paraphrased quote> I guess Lewis would fit in your option #3 below.
And he would think this way in full knowledge of Jesus' teachings about
"plucking out your eye" & "the worm that does not die." That seems to
make the most sense to this armchair theologian.

John, I should add the clarification that my scribbled notes from the
evening were sketchy & I haven't yet procured a DVD (which I hope to
do). So when I said he wasn't trying to prove (scientifically) God's
existence, I think he actually explicitly said that --but it was my
impression of his message when the evening was over (in other words
--my words, not his.) In fact, I should have remembered this one
tidbit which only came up in the Q&A session afterwards --and even then
was still an aside to his answer. One person asked: "How does God
work?" Ravi's co-speaker then acknowledged that just because
something works doesn't mean it's true. BUT if it's true, then it
works. And then he proceeded to give personal testimony which Ravi
added to about how God had transformed theirs & others lives in a way
that other non believing friends had found undeniable. After all this
Ravi made a string of comments about seeing God at work in the world
which included this tidbit: ... and when you see "irreducible
complexity", then you recognize intelligibility behind it. ---Those
are pretty close to his actual words used. So I.D. did get a nod from
him, but that was the only time that evening it came up --and even there
he hardly leaned on it at all.

--Merv