Buddhism, Christianity & Science (was Re: [asa] FYI: LIVE internet streaming test)

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Tue Mar 03 2009 - 11:32:09 EST

Bernie -

This is obviously too late to be of use for a discussion of Buddhism and Science tomorrow but you (& others here) may be interested in a new book that's relevant to that topic: Paul D. Numrich (ed.), The Boundaries of Knowledge in Buddhism, Christianity, and Science (Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 2008). (It's Volume 15 in V & R's "Religion, Theology and Natural Science" series, most of which, like this one, is in English or English translation.) This is a collection of papers from a conference at Trinity Lutheran Seminary in Columbus OH for which I was one of the advisors. The idea of the conference was to consider ways in which the 2 religious traditions dealt with science, and particularly issues of epistemology, in order to provide a kind of indirect religious dialogue. While most of the contributors are theologians or scholars of religion, there are also essays by an astronomer who's a Buddhist & a physicist who's a Christian.

Shalom
George