Re: [asa] Nakedness and the Fall of Man

From: <philtill@aol.com>
Date: Mon Mar 02 2009 - 23:54:24 EST

I'm sure Mark used the words "rain clouds" as a paraphrase to convey the specific interpretation to a modern reader, but obviously he agrees with these translations:

> mist - KJV

> water - NLV

> water - Good News

> mist - ASV

since that is what a rain cloud actually is.  Anyhow, I don't put much stock in arguments based on the definitions of single words, since it is the popular usage of words that determines their meaning, and the only usage of ancient Hebrew that we have available to us is in the Bible itself.  This can lead to circular reasoning when we start talking about words that are not commonly used or that may have had secondary usages that were not predominant.  The strength of Mark's argument is that it is based on the logic of the passage and not upon the meaning of a single word.

Phil