Re: [asa] science martyrs

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Sun Mar 01 2009 - 20:10:01 EST

Marcio -

Yes, I realize that you were using the term "martyr" in a broad sense which is fairly common usage. Without intending to reject that sense I thought it worthwhile to note the more limited definition.

It would be hard to come up with a genuine "science martyr" - i.e., someone who has been killed for his/her scientific beliefs - in a Christian culture.A case might be made for Hypatia, the 5th century neoplatonist astronomer & mathematician of Alexandria who was killed by a Christian mob, but it's not at all certain that her distinctively scientific beliefs - or the fact that she wasn't a Christian - were the cause of that.

"Science confessors" are easier - Murray and Michael have suggested some contemporaries. I think Galileo could be put in this category. Certainly there was a lot involved in his condemnation besides just his scientific claims but those did play some role.

Shalom
George