Re: [asa] Best Quote of the Week

From: Nucacids <nucacids@wowway.com>
Date: Sun Mar 01 2009 - 15:03:13 EST

Hi John,

I like the quote for two reasons.

1. It nicely captures the manner in which the common debate of evolution vs.
design is a false dichotomy. The issue is far more interesting than this
polarized version would have it.

2. It's striking how similar this is to the view I have been exploring for
the last ten or so years. I'd just make one word change: "It's evolving.
It's doing what it was designed it to do."

I don't think it is fair to suggest Benner is doing any wagon circling - he's
just a scientist immersed in the project of designing life forms. When this
objective is achieved, the distinction between biology and engineering will
be blurred from both ends.

As for MN, I don't have a problem with it. The problem comes when people
try to leap from MN to PN, as that leap must embrace the god-of-the-gaps
approach.

-Mike Gene