Re: [asa] science martyrs

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Sun Mar 01 2009 - 13:02:32 EST

Gregory -

You beat me to a mention of Vavilov. Velikovsky did indeed get some unfair criticism from scientists who knew his ideas only superficially, but when one examines them in more depth they still turn out to be wildly wrong. Counting him as a martyr is pretty far off. A guy who was out of his depth in fields he didn't know much about would be a more accurate decription. I once heard him speak in the 70s when there was a bit of a Velikovsky revival - a rambling talk that was so long that the scheduled Q & A time had to be omitted.

In response to the original question: The traditional definition of a martyr in the Christian tradition is a believer who is killed "because of hatred of the faith" (per odium fide). A person who is persecuted because of the Christian faith but not killed for it is a "confessor." If we use similar criteria for scientists there have been very few "science martyrs" but a lot more "science confessors."

Shalom
George