RES: [asa] science martyrs

From: Marcio Pie <pie@ufpr.br>
Date: Sun Mar 01 2009 - 12:51:37 EST

Hi there,

Perhaps I should've been more explicit.

Given the pervasive notion that the "Church" has persecuted "scientists" in
history, I'd expect at least some clear cases. Of course, unfortunately the
"Church" has done her share of persecution and scientists have been
persecuted for various reasons, but I can't find a single example of a
scientist being persecuted for questioning some preferred biblical
interpretation.

How about the censorship of scientific progress? Something like
"Lysenkoism"?

The notion that Christianity has persecuted scientists for not agreeing with
biblical interpretation is very widespread, including in Academia (e.g. in
that poker game in "flock of dodos"). Is this akin to the idea that all
Christian in the middle ages thought that the earth is flat?

Marcio