Re: [asa] science martyrs

From: Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca>
Date: Sun Mar 01 2009 - 08:54:49 EST

Hello Marcio,

Not sure how many 'martyrs' you'll find in North America in the cause of 'science' but let me mention just two who lived and died in my current environment.

1) Nikolai I. Vavilov (1887-1943) - botanist, geneticist, the mentor and bane of T. Lysenko, centres of origin, founder of 'the law of homologous series in variation'

I am conducting research at the Institute dedicated to his name in St. Petersburg today, which includes the section on Evolutionary Biology and History of Science and Technology. The Vavilov seed bank is located about 10 minutes drive from my apartment.

2) Nikolai D. Kondratiev (1892-1938) - economist, known for business cycles or 'Kondratiev waves'

One could argue that Kondratiev was targetted for his political, rather than his scientific views. However, when it comes to human-social sciences, these things (politics and science) are much more integrated and intricately woven together.

One could add Immanuel Velikovsky (martyred or sacrificed by the 'scientific community'), but he was not physically killed as the above two; rather 'persecution' would be the appropriate term.

Hope it helps in your quest.

Sincerely,
Gregory