Re: [asa] science martyrs

From: Merv Bitikofer <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Sun Mar 01 2009 - 08:57:36 EST

Given that we popularly consider missionaries killed "in the line of
duty" as martyrs, I suppose the popularly assumed death of Archimedes
working out problems with circles on the beach when he was killed by an
impatient Roman soldier would qualify? Or maybe that would make him
more a Mathematics martyr. There is a story of two Chinese astronomers
(I can't remember their names right now) who miscalculated the time of a
coming solar eclipse, and their emporer was not amused. (They were killed.)

Does ridicule count? And also, do the scientific beliefs that they were
persecuted for have to have been correct before they merit this
posthumous status? (If not then creation scientists have certainly
been ridiculed for scientific claims they have made, though I don't know
of any who have been imprisoned, let alone killed for their
'indiscretion' ---yet.)

--Merv