Re: [asa] Miracles and God of the Gaps

From: Merv Bitikofer <>
Date: Sat Jan 24 2009 - 11:32:30 EST

George Murphy wrote:
> The _analogy_ of God as a worker making use of creatures as
> instruments to accomplish tasks is helpful but it's an analogy. An
> attempt to describe "the causal joint" (i.e., just how God's "hand"
> grips and manipulates the "tool") sounds like an attempt to make
> theology part of physics.
I agree (in some superficial way perhaps) that this quest for the causal
joint is misguided, but I can still understand the frustration of some
regarding the said joint. So if it is merely a useful analogy, are you
saying... a> it doesn't exist except in our heads as a helpful
cognitive device b> it does exist but can never be scientifically
findable c> it exists and is indeed observed all around us but will
never independently yield anything apologetically useful (or d> none
of the above ... more elaboration needed...)

I'm not trying to insult your intelligence with multiple choice, but
trying to frame the issue for my own understanding.

To unsubscribe, send a message to with