Re: [asa] The ASA and the Soft Sciences

From: Rich Blinne <rich.blinne@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Dec 31 2008 - 20:35:36 EST

On Dec 31, 2008, at 5:54 PM, John Walley wrote:

> I personally greatly enjoyed our discussions earlier about our
> current economic situation and I think as Christians we can do a lot
> of good with a faithful understanding and outlook of what is going
> on in our world including economics. Escpecially considering that
> the scriptures specifically states that God intervenes in history
> and politics through economics. And not to even mention the
> eschatological aspect of it as well.
>
> I don't see how this would be off-topic for this list unless you
> only defined science as the physical or life sciences for example
> but I think that would be too narrow. I would welcome this continued
> discussion and agree that there is a lot of shared wisdom here that
> I would personally like to learn from.
>
> Thanks
>
> John

The problem is the discussion of economics often heads towards
politics and I am just trying to be sensitive to others on the list
who don't want this list to be a political forum. It does not reflect
the opinion that I believe economics is not a proper scientific
discipline nor that Christianity doesn't speak to the issue of
economics. I agree with your point above and that's why we should be
encouraging Christian economists to join our fellowship.

Rich Blinne
Member ASA