Re: [asa] The ASA and the Soft Sciences

From: Rich Blinne <rich.blinne@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Dec 31 2008 - 14:49:47 EST

On Dec 31, 2008, at 12:28 PM, Gregory Arago wrote:

> I wonder which sciences Rich considers to be 'soft' or if the
> distinction between 'hard' and 'soft' is of much value at all.
> Perhaps it is the 'so-called' in his question that is most
> problematic.
>
> Why not ask about ASA and the 'human-social sciences,' some of which
> are indeed just as 'hard' as natural sciences, if not 'harder' and
> definitely more complex?
>
> It would indeed be a more welcome forum for me as a human-social
> scholar. If widening of interests and participants were to occur,
> issues such as economics and politics, anthropology and cultural
> studies could be addressed by Christian scientists and scholars via
> this domain, though perhaps this would better take place through a
> different medium than the current ASA listserve.
>
> "What is ASA doing to attract people outside of natural sciences?"
> is likewise an important question in the pursuit of holism and unity
> of the sciences, arts, humanities, philosophy and theology.
>
> Gregory A.

We are in agreement here. The word so-called referred to the soft part
and not the sciences part. I don't have any problem with your
rephrasing of my question as it was what I was driving at. It's
important to not conflate the ASA with the listserv, though. For
example, there is an upcoming special psychology issue in PSCF coming
up in 2009. The listserv's personality appears to be more narrow where
even historical sciences are demarcated away by some participants.

Rich Blinne
Member ASA