Re: [asa] The ASA and the Soft Sciences

From: Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca>
Date: Wed Dec 31 2008 - 14:28:16 EST

I wonder which sciences Rich considers to be 'soft' or if the distinction between 'hard' and 'soft' is of much value at all. Perhaps it is the 'so-called' in his question that is most problematic.

Why not ask about ASA and the 'human-social sciences,' some of which are indeed just as 'hard' as natural sciences, if not 'harder' and definitely more complex?

It would indeed be a more welcome forum for me as a human-social scholar. If widening of interests and participants were to occur, issues such as economics and politics, anthropology and cultural studies could be addressed by Christian scientists and scholars via this domain, though perhaps this would better take place through a different medium than the current ASA listserve.

"What is ASA doing to attract people outside of natural sciences?" is likewise an important question in the pursuit of holism and unity of the sciences, arts, humanities, philosophy and theology.

Gregory A.