[asa] The ASA and the Soft Sciences

From: Rich Blinne <rich.blinne@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Dec 31 2008 - 14:03:07 EST

The Washington Post just did a massive three-part series on what
happened with AIG. I found it very fascinating. Since this is off
topic please direct all comments off list. The issue of economics does
bring to mind a comment Randy made in the Jan/Feb newsletter:

> We have few economists in the ASA, and we have no particular
> expertise or mission to critique economic policy.

What are we doing to attract people in the so-called "soft sciences"
into the ASA? Many areas of interest of the ASA does intersect
economics and sociology and in my opinion we should do better here.

Rich Blinne
Member ASA