Re: [asa] Molecular Biology and Design

From: Nucacids <nucacids@wowway.com>
Date: Tue Dec 30 2008 - 16:57:12 EST

Hi Dave,

You ask, "Are you saying that chemical engineers (and polymer chemists) actually have something to say about biology?"

I don't know enough about chemical engineers or polymer chemists to say. But I am saying what I said.

1. Biology is one of the most rapidly advancing sciences right now largely because of molecular biology.

I'm not sure anyone can deny this.

2. And molecular biology was institutionalized when scientists imported engineering concepts into biology.

This seems solid to me. I illustrated this in two ways. First, I conveyed how a mainstream molecular biologist would describe protein synthesis. Second, I quoted from Lewontin, who noted that some of the most pivotal experiments/papers in the history of molecular biology "would have been conceptually impossible without the metaphor of the code."

3. I also noted that molecular biology, with its embedded engineering concepts, has been transforming our understanding of developmental biology and evolution in ways that are very friendly to front-loading.

-Mike

  Biology is one of the most rapidly advancing sciences right now largely because of molecular biology. And molecular biology was institutionalized when scientists imported engineering concepts into biology.

    See: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/molecular-biology/

  Mike,

  Are you saying that chemical engineers (and polymer chemists) actually have something to say about biology?

  -Dave

  PS.
  There's a related article mentioned:
  http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/causation-mani/

  I think one could start reading this stanford site and not come up for air for a long long time.