Re: [asa] God Or Science? A Belief In One Weakens Positive Feelings For The Other

From: David Campbell <pleuronaia@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Dec 30 2008 - 16:26:09 EST

> On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if scientists were to discover a more fundamental biological tendency, that we tend to prefer simple "either-or" conclusions over more nuanced positions. (For instance, something tracing back to the "fight or flight" instinct binary responses may be an inherently natural tendency.) But even that may be heavily influenced more by experience and education than biological predisposition.<

Either-or is also much simpler to convey than a nuanced combination,
even if the audience weren't primed to leap to either-or conclusions.

There's also the difficulty that the typical TE seems to be a
scientist with job responsibilities rather than a full-time promoter,
plus the generally poor publicity skills of scientists.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections