Re: [asa] Attaining heaven -- a poll

From: David Clounch <david.clounch@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Dec 28 2008 - 17:19:14 EST

Allan,

I agree. Thats why I made the "need more beer" remark. :)

But the reason I agree is that doctrines of the afterlife are not core to
Christianity. They are peripheral icing on the cake.

Whereas resurrection is a physical event that can be examined by science if
one has proper instrumentation on the spot. That puts resurrection within
the intersection between Christian faith and science. And the resurrection
of that one certain individual (as opposed to other resurrections) is
certainly core to Christian faith.

I have a similar set of issues, for example, with the death of Napolean.
Was he poisoned by arsenic? Can science address that? Can historical
events be evaluated by science? Can science give us the limits of the
range of possibilities for a historical event?

The real question is: Can science tell us that an event happened when all
the evidence shows the event required (or would require) an intelligent
agent that had capability beyond that of human beings? It seems this is
what resurrection entails.

We have to ask ourselves whether science can rule out the possibility of the
existence of that type of intelligent agent. One way to do so is to a
priori rule out all possibilities of any events that require
super-intelligent agency.

The problem here is what to tell the general public to believe about this
subject?
I'd say tell them there are different answers to the question. Tell them
there are different ways to answer the question.

I don't think that is likely to be popular. Each camp wants to say "we have
the right answer - the other camps are wrong". The camp that achieves
hegemony will try to suppress the other camps and silence them. I object
to that whether it comes from the left or the right. And the reason is it
interferes with people's ability to see their need for the risen Saviour.

Best Regards,
Dave C (asa member)