Re: Fw: [asa] Appeasing TE?

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Sun Dec 28 2008 - 09:54:04 EST

we need to disabuse people of the notion that belief in an old earth is motivated by an attempt to defend Darwinian evolution.

This notion actually has things backwards. I suppose it's time again to point out that "evidence for evolution from DNA" would be nothing but a bunch of unexplainable curiosities unless there were independent evidence of Earth's great age and also independent evidence that organisms have undergone major changes down through time. The fossil record combined with evidences for great age provide far more compelling evidence for evolution than DNA by itself. In fact, by itself DNA offers no evidence at all. DNA studies combined with research into ongoing variations in organisms provides some evidence for evolution, but quantified ongoing variations are trivial compared with what's needed to compellingly support a theory of common descent.

Once great age and actual major changes in organisms have been established (and only then), some particulars of DNA provide great supporting evidence for evolution and common descent.

Don