Re: Fw: [asa] Appeasing TE?

From: gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Sat Dec 27 2008 - 14:07:11 EST

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008, David Opderbeck wrote:

> IMHO, the best treatments from a broadly evangelical perspective right now
> are Denis Alexander, "Creation or Evolution: Do We Have to Choose"; Daniel
> Harrell, "Nature's Witness"; and Davis Young, "The Bible, Rocks and Time";
> Gordon Glover, "Beyond the Firmament"; and Loren and Deborah Haarsma,
> "Origins." All of these use clear language and are sensitive to the
> concerns of a conservative readership.
> David W. Opderbeck
> Associate Professor of Law
> Seton Hall University Law School

I recently finished reading the book by Young and Stearley. I found it to
be excellent. It gives a discussion of the history of scientific
discoveries and Biblical interpretations related to the age of the earth
that I wish Christians were aware of. It also clearly sets out the
negative effects that young earth creationism has on evangelism and
apologetics.

The science in this book is restricted to geology. Evolution is mentioned
only briefly in connection with history. The authors never reveal what
their views are on evolution. I think this is important because we need to
disabuse people of the notion that belief in an old earth is motivated by
an attempt to defend Darwinian evolution.

Gordon Brown (ASA member)