Re: [asa] Attaining heaven -- a poll

From: David Clounch <david.clounch@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Dec 27 2008 - 15:02:50 EST

Its an interesting survey. As George points out, a survey on ignorance? :)

Maybe I am simple minded, but I look at it in a very practical way. Lets
assume God doesn't exist. That means that the very best a person can hope
for is to spend a few years on this planet, and then spend the rest of
eternity six feet under. And everyone you know will reach the same fate.
Whether they were good or bad doesn't matter - all will be pushing up
daisies. Thats the very best we can hope for. I think that is rather
grim. Its certainly grim enough. I'll call that option I.

(BTW, two days before Christmas I finalized the cremation of my mother. This
isn't a theoretical matter. Its real).

It could be worse. One possibly could live on - and be subjected to
horrible situations that make one wish for death. You don't need hell for
that. Just being forced to live with tyrants for which there are no limits
to their actions, with no consequences, can lead one to want to escape into
death. I'll call these undesirable situations option II.

Are any other options available?

OK, along comes someone like God who can save us from that grim reality of
the very best we could look forward to, which is Option I. A smart
person would jump at the opportunity!!!! But what do people do instead?
They complain about how unfair it is that their benefactor doesn't suit
their whims. That would be like the millionaire reality show where the
undercover millionaire writes a check for $100,000 to you, and you slap his
hand and blame him for being a millionaire - and refuse to cash the check to
spite him. Would that be dumb, or insane?

Death is a good thing given the consequences of sin and the natural human
condition. Who would want to be dying of cancer for 100,000 years? Whether
you were good or bad has nothing to do with it.

All religions exist because people have a yearning for something other than
their natural condition. That shows how bad they think their natural
condition really is. But how does blaming the solution change their
natural condition? I think it is the unbeliever who is engaging in wishful
thinking.

But, as I said, I must be sort of simple minded. I see the Christ as
absolutely WONDERFUL. If someone thinks there is another way besides the
Christ, what they need to show is that the other way gets the job done.

-Dave C