Re: [asa] Attaining heaven -- a poll

From: Schwarzwald <schwarzwald@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Dec 27 2008 - 12:33:02 EST

It's hard for me to put much stock in this for a number of reasons, but one
is primary: There is a difference between believing that people of other
faiths can achieve salvation, and that other religions themselves 'offer
eternal life'.

I know that in Catholicism there is a belief that people outside of the
Church can be saved, but that all are ultimately saved through Christ
whether or not they recognized it in their earthly life. But that is
drastically different from believing that 'religions other than theirs could
lead to eternal life'. The fact that so many believe that atheists can have
eternal life, despite an utter repudiation of such a thought by most
atheists (save for, what - transhumanists maybe?) should highlight that. I
doubt the people responding are saying 'atheism can lead to eternal life'.

That aside, Blow's presentation of what the bible teaches is, while brief,
coming across as kind of warped to me.