Re: [asa] Saving Christianity WAS Appeasing TE?

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Fri Dec 26 2008 - 16:28:28 EST

George,
I come at the content of the creeds from a different angle. Of Christ we
have birth, crucifixion, resurrection, ascension, nothing between birth
and crucifixion. The birth is that of the incarnate deity, the only being
whose crucifixion produces salvation. You noted correctly that esteeming
Jesus as a great teacher adds nothing, though no end of people from
various cultures admire him as such, while rejecting the content of the
creeds. Admiring his teaching, affirming "I try to follow his teaching"
is not salvific, though it should follow faith. What would adding "He
went about doing good" add? "I try to follow his benevolent example
without being a Christian"? One of the common ideas is that doing good is
the key to entering heaven. It seems to me that "great teacher" and
"doing good" have similar effects apart from the crucial matters
presented in the creeds. It seems to me that the minimal statements have
special benefits. How one acts because of faith in Christ is a different
matter entirely.
Dave (ASA)

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 08:23:21 -0500 "George Murphy" <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>