Re: [asa] Saving Christianity WAS Appeasing TE?

From: <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Thu Dec 25 2008 - 01:19:40 EST

Quoting John Walley <john_walley@yahoo.com>:

My responses are interspersed below. BTW; I just brought my son back from a
Christmas eve out-of-state emergency room visit for a badly broken ankle.
--prayers appreciated.

> With all due respect and of course not meaning to take anything away from the
> Gospel, if this is all Christianity is about then why do we have this list
> and why are we here discussing TE?

My terse response about the essence of Christianity may have been written a bit
flippantly so as to imply that something is simpler than it actually is. And
yet I still stand behind it. The thing to remember though, is that there is
always the ...so what of it? question that must follow. Christ's redemption
doesn't happen in a vacuum. It is granted to real people with messy and
involved lives. And if they take it seriously, their whole life is impacted.
If I believe that Christ is God in our midst and in my heart, do I want to
associate Him with something that is most apparently a falsehood? If I want
others to enjoy that same relationship, then I'd better be concerned if false
-isms are going to be stumbling blocks. I didn't say that this doctrine was ALL
of Christianity, but that it is the starting point from which everything else
should radiate. So just because something is (IMO) the "heart" of Christianity
doesn't imply that lungs, eyes, brain, ---the whole body doesn't exist.

> Why aren't we all still YEC's or OEC's or ID'ers if the cross of Christ is
> all that matters? YEC's, OEC's and ID'ers all believe in the cross of Christ
> as well.

I think I answered this above. If these things are going to be associated with
Christ, then we had better make sure they aren't false. If they are, then we
need to work to remove false stumbling blocks. True stumbling blocks will be
challenging enough in their own right --let's not go adding more.

> For that matter why aren't we still flat earthers or geocentrists? If we
> share the central truth of the cross of Christ then there shouldn't be any
> issues, right? It amazes me how quick we are to give the church a pass on
> things that we should know better about.

Because those things aren't true. If someone wants to believe something
scientifically wacky, but is also a Christian --I have no beef with that. But
if they want to start saying that their wacky belief is an extension of
Christianity, then we should have a beef with that.

> What if it was immorality issue? If a pastor is having an affair and spending
> the church's money on his mistress and his flings? Is this ok too as long as
> he still holds to the doctrinal truth of the power of the cross and its
> redemption? Would that Christianity not need saving?

Is he really holding to the truth and power of the cross as he does those things?

> Obviously I am referring to the relevance and impact of Christianity on
> culture and lost souls but that is important. That is why we are all
> concerned when we see our brothers in Christ testify in the media spectacle
> at Dover for all the world to see if we feel they are misguided and possibly
> having a negative impact on the cause of Christ. Or when we see Ken Ham show
> his face or open his mouth in any public venue.
>
> I think it is a cop out to minimize these errors in the church and to say
> Christianity is only about some certain doctrine or another. It is about
> Jesus and Truth which according to His own words are synonymous. I think we
> owe Truth to those empty souls at Dick's meeting and to our neighbors and the
> world at large. In my opinion that is what Christianity is about and that is
> what it will take to save its relevance and impact on our world.

Amen! and well stated. I think my responses basically echoed what you then put
in these last paragraphs.
--Merv