Re: [asa] Appeasing TE?

From: David Clounch <david.clounch@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Dec 24 2008 - 14:31:16 EST

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 10:45 PM, Nucacids <nucacids@wowway.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> TE strikes me as a sociological label made necessary because religious and
> secular fundamentalists have loudly argued that evolution is supposed to
> lead to atheism.

Mike,
You might be right!
I have been wondering if the term perhaps is derogatory - a label placed
upon the proponents of the view rather than what the proponents call
themselves. This would explain the upset over me asking for a definition.
But if that were true then why the usage of the term in various works by
what I assume to be proponents? I myself had no intention of labeling
anybody as anything.

I am a theist who accepts physics. To say I am a theistic physicist would
sound strange. Would it not mean something beyond just being a theist and
accepting physics? If I (or anyone) went to the trouble to call myself
(themselves) that then wouldn't there be something to explain? The trivial
case doesn't even make sense. So, I am still gathering data and waiting to
see. :)

Cheers,
Dave C (ASA)