Re: [asa] Appeasing TE or TE Appeasement?

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Wed Dec 24 2008 - 14:30:08 EST

'Having eliminated from our discussion the forms of Evolution held by the divers schools of monists and agnostics, there now remains but the third form, known as theistic Evolution."
                        John A. Zahm, Evolution and Dogma (Regina Press, 1975 reprint of the 1896 edition), p.279.

I doubt that this is the first use of the term - Zahm seems to imply that the term was reasonably well known in 1896. He was an RC priest who, inter alia, was professor of physics at Notre Dame. The church authorities were not happy about the book, which said that some versions of evolution, if shown to be true scientifically,
weren't a threat to the faith, but Zahm & others were able to keep it from being placed publically on the Index. (The reprint intro says that it was "privately prohibited" but I'm not sure what that means.)

The capitalizing of Evolution in the text seems odd but I suspect that that's just a stylistic matter.

Shalom
George
http://home.neo.rr.com/scitheologyglm