Re: [asa] Appeasing TE or TE Appeasement?

From: Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca>
Date: Wed Dec 24 2008 - 10:41:19 EST

Hi Ted,

Just a short note to say that I would be grateful if you could indeed find out who (supposedly) coined the phrase 'theistic evolution.' Who are you linking it to in the 1890s?

I've searched around on-line and the most sensible claim I've found so far is by Ted Peters, who said that the term was coined by 'creationists' in regard to the naturalistic appeasement by TEs. If it is true (e.g. similar to the coining of 'fundamentalism'), then this is precisely the ground for starting a thread with this title. Likewise, the claim that "for 300 or so years methodological naturalism has been guiding scientifically-minded Christians" is another case of retro-diction. It is simply unsupportable.

Great thanks to Antje Jackelen, after searching for who coined 'theistic evolution,' for her abstract to "A critical view of theistic evolution" (Theology and Science, Volume 5, Number 2, July 2007, pp. 151-165), where she says: "anti-evolutionism is about anthropology and morality more than about theism." Hope to read the article soon...

The issue of retro-diction is a legitimate one because it shows a sociological attempt to gain a following or to attribute one's personal views to more people than is suitable. That's the point, Ted. Of course we all here know the suspicion of the term 'consensus,' especially when people dissent from that 'consensus.' I find it troubling that some people who would call themselves TEs seem to assume that anyone who accepts biological evolution and is also a theist is therefore also a TE. This is certainly not the case as the variety of uses of TE

All this said, I agree with Michael that sometimes more important things should take priority, and so I also sign off for probably a few days for services and gatherings.

Do you hear what I hear?
O Holy Night

Winter wishes,

Gregory