[asa] Saving Christianity WAS Appeasing TE?

From: John Walley <john_walley@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Dec 24 2008 - 09:11:45 EST

Dave & Merv:
> > Another related aspect: What saves Christianity, and How?
> >

> Jesus Christ of Nazareth. By his redeeming work on the
> cross. If Christianity
> is ever about anything else then it isn't Christianity
> any more.

With all due respect and of course not meaning to take anything away from the Gospel, if this is all Christianity is about then why do we have this list and why are we here discussing TE?

Why aren't we all still YEC's or OEC's or ID'ers if the cross of Christ is all that matters? YEC's, OEC's and ID'ers all believe in the cross of Christ as well.

For that matter why aren't we still flat earthers or geocentrists? If we share the central truth of the cross of Christ then there shouldn't be any issues, right? It amazes me how quick we are to give the church a pass on things that we should know better about.

What if it was immorality issue? If a pastor is having an affair and spending the church's money on his mistress and his flings? Is this ok too as long as he still holds to the doctrinal truth of the power of the cross and its redemption? Would that Christianity not need saving?

Obviously I am referring to the relevance and impact of Christianity on culture and lost souls but that is important. That is why we are all concerned when we see our brothers in Christ testify in the media spectacle at Dover for all the world to see if we feel they are misguided and possibly having a negative impact on the cause of Christ. Or when we see Ken Ham show his face or open his mouth in any public venue.

I think it is a cop out to minimize these errors in the church and to say Christianity is only about some certain doctrine or another. It is about Jesus and Truth which according to His own words are synonymous. I think we owe Truth to those empty souls at Dick's meeting and to our neighbors and the world at large. In my opinion that is what Christianity is about and that is what it will take to save its relevance and impact on our world.

Merry Christmas

John