Re: [asa] Appeasing TE?

From: David Clounch <david.clounch@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Dec 23 2008 - 20:29:43 EST

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 2:15 PM, Dick Fischer <dickfischer@verizon.net>
Dick wrote:

> What I think we would be safe in saying is that TEs believe in
> biological evolution through natural, not supernatural means.

Dick, I appreciate your statement here. But according to Stephen, if I
understand his position, this is a misnomer. It isnt "theistic" any more
than there is "theistic chemistry", for example.

Therefore I'm confused. Is TE as a set of ideas not supposed to exist? Is
there no such thing as TE?

One thing I want to make very very clear. I never claimed there to be any
such thing as TE. If there is any such thing I merely expressed a wish
for a definition and a list of the tenets so I could understand the
difference between the view and other views. That would be rather difficult
if there isn't supposed to be any such thing. Wouldn't it?

I feel I didn't make any of it up. I am only responding to what was already
there.
I suspect the real answer is "go search the ASA website". Or, as folks have
so graciously recommended some books, "read a book on the subject". I can
accept being chided for not looking on the website first.

So looking at the ASA website:
http://www.asa3.org/ASA/topics/Evolution/murphy__van_dyke_dialogue.html#TheisticEvolution

Let me apologize ahead of time, but I am afraid I do personally assume the
people involved with the page are quite sane.

Then there is Gregory's recommended book is referenced on the ASA web site
page
http://www.asa3.org/ASA/topics/Evolution/index.html

 *Evolving Creation (Theistic Evolution): God's activity is typically
progressive in time, and
potentially understandable in terms of cause-and-effect sequences of
physical or historical events.
 K. Miller <http://www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/1993/PSCF9-93Miller.html>*

Again I assume Keith and all the ASA folks are sane. But if not, well, at
least I am not one claiming them not to be sane. Their sanity would be an
issue I could not possibly judge.

I haven't looked at any of the refernced materials yet. But apparently the
proponents of TE think it is some sort of a real idea, real enough to
deserve a label, and the idea can be distinguished from non-theistic
evolution. Inquiring minds would want to know, of course, how does one
differentiate the two? (TE vs NTE?).

Denying that there is any difference between TE and NTE would be quite a
claim! I made no such claim. Affirming a difference would also be quite a
claim. Again, I made no such claim. But it seems to me the proponents of TE
do have to deal with whether TE==NTE or whether TE!=NTE. As Dick points
out, perhaps there is disagreement on that subject. If the proponents of TE
cannot agree on this then what do they expect the rest of humanity to think?

I have never asserted that anything in the natural world is "based" on
miracles. Do TE's make such an assertion? That's a good question. I
don't know the answer. What if there are different types of TE views on
this? A broad range, as George mentioned. I myself have asserted nothing
whatsoever about miracles or of what they may consist or whether they
affect natural processes. Others talk about that. I alluded to others
talking about that.

Another related aspect: What saves Christianity, and How?

Maybe I've misunderstood something.

John Walley asserted , if I understand him correctly, Christianity is saved
by...by...what? An intellectual position of some sort? I assumed he meant
something related to this TE question. I apologize if that assumption is way
off.

I also assume he didnt mean Christianity is saved just for himself, but
rather saved for everyone. If thats the case, doesn't that elevate the
subject to a much higher level than our personal views? Isn't that why the
question must be asked? It has nothing to do with my personal curiosity.
Because the subject has to be explained to all of humanity.

The Bottom Line
I think the proponents of a theory are owed a chance to explain their
theory.
My crime perhaps was saying they haven't been clear enough. I thought I
was presenting an opportunity to them. Sigh.