[asa] A little Christmas gift

From: Preston Garrison <pngarrison@att.net>
Date: Mon Dec 22 2008 - 09:44:50 EST

Hello all,

There's been a small tradition on this group of people offering
something artistic that seemed appropriate around Christmas. I heard
a song recently that is not strictly a Christmas song, but I want to
offer it as a little gift to the group. George M. and Blaise Pascal
have reminded us of the real dangers of natural theology disconnected
from the revelation of Jesus, but if you know the Truth of that
revelation, then with the eyes of faith you can see some of the
meaning of the universe and history and our lives. That's what the
song is about.

Show the Way
by David Wilcox

You say you see no hope
You say you see no reason we should dream
That the world would ever change.
You're saying love is foolish to believe
Cause there'll always be some crazy
With an army or a knife
To wake you from that daydream
Put the fear back in your life

Look, if someone wrote a play
Just to glorify what's stronger than hate
Would they not arrange the stage
To look as if the hero came too late?
As if He's almost in defeat
So it's looking like the evil side will win
So on the edge of every seat
 From the moment that the whole thing begins

It has been Love that mixed the mortar
It was Love that stacked these stones
It was Love that made the stage here
And made it feel like we're alone
Within some scene set in shadow
Like the night is here to stay.
Well, there is evil cast around us
But it's Love that wrote this play,
So that in this darkness, Love can show the way.
And where else but in this world today
To show the way.

Well now your stage is set
You feel your own heart beating in your chest
So this life's not over yet
So we get up on our feet and do our best
We play against the fear
We play against the reasons not to try
We're playing for the tear
That's burning in the happy angel's eye

For it's Love that mixed the mortar
It was Love that stacked these stones
It was Love that made the stage here
And made it feel like we're alone
Within some scene set in shadow
Like the night is here to stay.
Well, there is evil cast around us
But it's Love that wrote this play,
So that in this darkness, Love can show the way,
Show the way.

I will justify borrowing the songwriter's (David Wilcox) words by
telling you where you can order the CD (Live Stories and Songs is the
CD title) if this appeals to you. In my personal and no doubt
idiosyncratic judgement, it's the most finely crafted popular
in-concert record I've ever heard. Every song is a jewel (even the
few that I disagree with the ideas expressed). Some are pure fun, and
others are deep, and the talk in between the songs is both profound
and hilarious. I have no financial interest in it and I've had a
total of about 30 seconds of conversation with Mr. Wilcox. I hope
this passes muster with the our honorable gatekeepers.

http://secure.whatarerecords.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=45_47&sort=20a&page=2&zenid=h93gg5iir26p5v44havgvdkgr7

A most blessed Christmas to all,

Preston G.
pngarrison@att.net