RE: [asa] Four views (multiverse)

From: Dehler, Bernie <bernie.dehler@intel.com>
Date: Fri Dec 19 2008 - 11:08:24 EST

Randy said-
"I confess I'm not a big fan of multiverses. They are imaginative and philosophically challenging but most scientists I know are pragmatic realists and deal with the universe as we see it."

Randy- I used to feel the same way- probably zero respect for multiverse theory. However I recently got and read this book:

"Many worlds in one: the search for other universes" by Alex Vilenkin
http://www.amazon.com/Many-Worlds-One-Search-Universes/dp/0809067226/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229361747&sr=1-4

I have to say- I think I now have full respect for this hypothesis. I certainly don't know if it is true or not (way over my head)- but it is fascinating to realize that at one time we thought the Earth was the center of the universe, then the sun, then we discovered the universe (size and contents)- and now maybe there's multiverses... trippy...

The book was very interesting in discussing the anthropic principle and how it would be related to multiverses, and also the idea of the quantum level foam of the space-time fabric (how something may come from nothing)... very interesting ideas. The author is obviously very thoughtful. He even mentions St. Augustine as a person with interesting cosmos insight.

...Bernie