RE: [asa] Four views

From: gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Thu Dec 18 2008 - 15:50:02 EST

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008, Dehler, Bernie wrote:

> If it wasn't for the science conflict, we'd all likely be YEC's... or at
> least highly sympathetic to YEC. For sure we'd all accept the worldwide
> flood story- didn't the vast majority of all theologians prior to modern
> science (John Calvin, Martin Luther, etc.) accept the worldwide flood?
>
> ...Bernie

I think you are right about belief in the worldwide flood before the advent of
modern science. Obviously the people who translated the Bible into other
languages viewed it that way. However some writers recognized that there were
problems with this interpretation. In particular, they brought up the fact that
it was wind that caused the water to recede, but their solution was different
from that of more recent commentators. Ambrose thought that the wind was the
Holy Spirit. The Jewish writer Philo, somewhat similarly, said that it was the
Breath of God.

Gordon Brown (ASA member)