Re: [asa] Four views

From: <philtill@aol.com>
Date: Thu Dec 18 2008 - 10:56:34 EST

 Yes, Dennis, that's a pretty good summary of my views, and of what I sense is the Scriptural attitude toward natural theology.  "Cryptic" is essentially the same as God's word "hidden", which He uses quite often in Scripture.  We might cringe at it, but it is God's word and we'll be denying the Scriptural epistemology if we reject it.

I think it's a question of, through which of our faculties does God address us in natural theology?  Scripture says he hides from the wise and proud people, so we can conclude that natural theology does not address us through those faculties that the wise and proud people bring to bear in this world:  intellect and logic.  ID goes astray by thinking natural theology is essentially a matter of intellect and logic.

Nature does address us through non-intellectual faculties.  We can be overwhelmed with God while we look at a sunset.  It's only been in recent times that mankind has discovered how logic and math can be brought to bear on the natural world (a la science).  It is therefore a purely recent error to project a scientific and mathematical interpretation back onto what Paul was saying about creation when he wrote Romans 1:20.  Paul didn't have mathematical methods in mind when he wrote that.

Phil