Re: [asa] Four views

From: <philtill@aol.com>
Date: Thu Dec 18 2008 - 10:30:25 EST

 Jon,
that's a great response to what I wrote.  My view starts out by noting there is an apparent tension in Scripture between:

1.  For since the creation of
the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine
nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been
made, so that men are without excuse. (Rom 1:20)

and

2.  Truly you are a God who hides himself, O God and Savior of Israel. (Isaiah 45:15), and "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children" (Matt.11:25), and "Why do you speak to the people in parables?"  He replied, "The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them." (Matt.13:10b-11)

How do these fit together?  Is theology "clearly seen" or is it "hidden"?  I think the answer is that natural theology has a real voice but that it is ineffectual at leading people to God, not because it is lacking, but because mankind is dead and thus unable to hear it.  The passage in Rom. 1 isn't telling us how people come to believe in God.  Instead, it is telling us why people who don't come to God are culpable in their unbelief.  It never hints that creation (natural theology) is actually effectual in leading anybody to believe.  But if scientific rigor could be brought to bear in natural theology, then it would be simply a matter of mathematical proof (such a
s we see in ID) to force people to hear it.  It would be effectual.  I believe that is the part of ID that is inherently unscriptural.  I heard Alister McGrath give his view on this, and I agreed with him.  Natural theology addresses us in the entirety of our personhood, giving us a spiritual comprehension that God exists and this is what makes us culpable as we continue to mentally and volitionally deny him.  This spiritual comprehension doesn't address our minds with proofs that would effectually force us into mental assent.  That would be incompatible with (2) above, the witness of Scripture that God has set things up so that He hides from those unwilling to repent.  So I think ID is unscriptural because it attempts to make logical arguments that demand mental assent independent of our willingness to repent and thus presents itself as being intellectually undeniable.

Phil