RE: [asa] Four views

From: Jon Tandy <tandyland@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu Dec 18 2008 - 09:52:53 EST

Phil,

Your claim is, ID is unbiblical because it says: "Design is only detectable
to scientists who can probe the structures of the flagellum, etc." This may
be a reasonable point, but I think it is overstating or misstating the ID
case, and therefore is overreaching. As far as I know, they don't say that
God's design is only detectable by microbiologists and information
theorists. Those are just evidentiary paths that the leaders of ID use to
justify the design inference from scientific evidence, but it is used to
support what they would claim is a more general fact of our ability to
detect design in nature, which is evident even to those without scientific
sophistication.

There may be other ways in which ID could be unbiblical (or at least
extra-biblical), such as requiring that God's action must be scientifically
detectable, or when it heads down "God of the gaps" rabbit trails. Your
argument may even be valid if ID leaders claimed that their sophisticated
reasons are the only types of places where design is evident. But I don't
know that they generally make this type of claim.

Jon Tandy