Re: [asa] Four views

From: Schwarzwald <schwarzwald@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Dec 18 2008 - 00:12:42 EST

Heya Randy,

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 9:45 PM, Randy Isaac <randyisaac@comcast.net> wrote:

> I confess I'm not a big fan of multiverses. They are imaginative and
> philosophically challenging but most scientists I know are pragmatic
> realists and deal with the universe as we see it. My comments are in that
> vein.

Does this mean the only views that 'count' are views that are popular among
scientists? That seems like a sketchy standard to go by.

"atheists are willing to accept pretty much 'anything but God'". Perhaps you
> have data that I'm not aware of. This isn't consistent with those I know.

Many atheists, Randy. Chopping off that 'many' changes what I said. I don't
paint with that broad a brush.

I think the sheer diversity of possible scenarios many atheists are willing
to entertain - from multiverse theories, to 'we just got really, really
lucky' theories, to simulation theories, to otherwise - is some evidence to
back up my claim. So too would be Hume's treatment of the supernatural, such
that the only explanation that could never be rationally entertained is one
that has a supernatural component, adds to this.

Others' experiences may vary, but I'm not just taking a shot in the dark
here.

> "it seems odd to suggest TEs believe in God due entirely to their
> particular faith." Don't we all?

No, we don't. I think it's entirely possible to take a look at natural
history and suspect guidance or design, while simultaneously admitting to
not being able to prove this scientifically. Yes, I believe that both the
atheist and theist makes a faith commitment, but how they can arrive at such
a commitment (and how natural evidence will inform that commitment) is
another issue.